How do love eBay? Let me count the ways. I use eBay to:
1. Complete my mother's and grandmother's china patterns, both of which were discontinued at the dawn of time. I like to avoid purchasing things at Replacements. I can get stuff from eBay at a tenth of the cost.
2. Continue forcing my daughter to dress in a mother/daughter style. If I buy a Lilly Pulitzer skirt for me and matching dress for my daughter, and she has the nerve to outgrow hers when mine still fits fine--I pick up the same dress for her in a larger size on eBay.
3. Pick up rare, hard-to-find, or otherwise interesting Hermes scarves. eBay is a great source, and some of the sellers there are incredibly knowledgable. (N.B.: Don't buy anything from China. Or that says "Made in Italy." Or that claims to be made of "seta." Hermes scarves are manufactured in France and are made of "soie." Or "silk." Not "seta." Oh--and if you see a bunch of listings for, say, the popular "Rocking Horse" pattern? Or the "Bubbles" pattern? Stay far away from that seller.)
4. Discontinued cosmetics. Because Badger keeps turning me on to products that get discontinued. Like this cleanser.
5. Idiotic tschotkes for my house.
6. Jewelry. Which, admittedly, I don't buy often. But I love to look.
But ... this is how not to sell a piece of jewelry on eBay: get your mother to model it:
Something tells me this thing is going to go for a song.