Sunday, January 08, 2006

Target is now the Love Boat of department stores

What's with the parade of has-beens?

First there was Mossimo. But I'd never heard of him because I was never a cool California kid.

Then there was Isaac Mizrahi, who even after Unzipped and The Adventures of Sandee the Supermodel couldn't manage to sell enough clothes at places like Neiman Marcus, and had to reinvent himself as a low-priced designer.

Oh, and I almost forgot--Stephen Sprouse.

And now it's Fiorucci.

What's next--Perry Ellis? Willi Smith? Halston? I mean, do you have to be a living designer, or can the name of a deceased fashion crash-and-burner be licensed?

There's nothing wrong with coming out with a lower-priced line. If it weren't for jeans, accessories, fragrances and bridge lines, I wouldn't have any designer crappe in my closet.

But I think my life is starting to pass before my eyes. And it's riding in a big red plastic cart.

5 comments:

Badger said...

Willi Smith? HAHAHA! You know that's TJ Maxx's signature line, right?

And Target is of the devil. They have EVERYTHING.

Poppy B. said...

See, this is why you are the wind beneath my wings. You to make me realize that all that horrible stuff I thought I'd imagined is actually TRUE.

BabelBabe said...

next up: the Charo line of haircare products!

(Who was discussing Charo on their blog recently? That's what made me think of her and Love Boat...)

Joke said...

Fiorucci? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, stop! STOP! Yer killin' me!

Everytime I hear the name "Fiorucci" I think of 1970s club strumpets and trollops dancing, er, expressively to "Heart of Glass" in the hopes of scoring later that evening.

OMG. Fiorucci. People who built the pyramids wore Fiorucci.

-J.

Anonymous said...

they're working on a deal with Proenza Schouler.